This service aims at enhancing the professional knowledge and skills of Chinese Language teachers of NCS (non-Chinese speaking) students to overcome the difficulties in the learning and teaching of Chinese as a second language to NCS students. The target participants for the Workshops are in-service Chinese Language teachers in government, aided, caput and Direct Subsidy Scheme schools with intake of NCS students. Ten workshops will be conducted in the 2018/2019 school year.
The objectives of the workshops are to enable Chinese Language teachers to:
- understand the theories and principles of teaching Chinese to NCS students
- understand how to apply the “Chinese Language Curriculum Second Language Learning Framework” (“Learning Framework” or NLF) in assessing NCS students’ competence and planning their learning.
- understand the multi-exits for the NCS students and possible ways of organizing their curriculum
- use effective pedagogies that help NCS students learn Chinese language
- use/adapt existing teaching resources effectively for differentiated learning
- share their experiences of teaching NCS students among different schools
- enhance their understanding of racial harmony and cultural responsive teaching